Sunday, January 8, 2012

Lords of Light!


I just thought I'd take a moment to mention that Thundarr the Barbarian rocks on toast. And not just any toast, but artisan* baked multigrain toast simultaneously sliced & toasted by Thundarr's mighty Sun Sword.

My brother gave me a bunch of Hanna Barbara classics DVD's for Christmas, and Thundarr is the gem of the group. I thought it was awesome when I was eight, but it continues to be awesome when I'm about to turn forty, which is quite a feat for a cartoon show.

It's got some pretty sophisticated concepts for a kid's cartoon show of its vintage, and Robert Ridgely's always kinda pissed off delivery for Thundarr is a gift that keeps on giving (plus he's got some awesome lines).

All the Jack Kirby designs for the various mutants, monsters, wizards, and war machines make for a very distinctive look. (Although Thundarr, Ariel, and Ookla were all designed by Alex Toth.)

This obviously isn't really big news for any old school gamer types who came up in the 80's, but I am enjoying the heck out of it, and it makes me want to do something Gamma World-esque very badly. The series is pretty much just an animated version of the Platonic ideal of a GW campaign.

So check it out.

* On the subject of "artisan" foodstuffs, I'm not sure I buy this particular bit of marketing nomenclature. Are we to presume that artisan bread was forged by a breadsmith? I dunno.

2 comments:

  1. Did someone mention "Thundarr?" ;)

    Big fan of the show. So much that I started a weekly "Thundarr Thursday" feature over at my blog, The Savage AfterWorld. Took those blog posts and compiled them into a Thundarr Sourcebook for use with Goblinoid Games' Mutant Future RPG:

    http://savageafterworld.blogspot.com/search/label/Thundarr

    http://tinyurl.com/67k75tk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writeup, particularly telling in the context of other Hanna Barbara DVD's. Also: I would totally eat anything made by a breadsmith.

    ReplyDelete